• You DON’T have to adjust the layout of your grids for every view.
• You CAN propagate the same layout from another sheet.
• It’s easy, you just use “Propagate Extents”.
But first, a caution about GRIDS:
- CAUTION: The GRID is put into the model as a 3D Datum.
- A change to a 3D Datum in one view will affect other views that it extends to.
- Grids remain 3D in a view until it has been PROPAGATED or until you manually select 2D for the grid.
- If you want to manipulate a grid in a VIEW, you should ensure that 2D is selected first
- Do this by clicking the ‘3D’ and it will change to ‘2D’:
Now here’s how to propagate a grid to other views:
1. The Propagate Extents tool is disabled if the view is cropped. So un-crop the view you are propagating FROM and the view(s) you are propagating TO.
2. Select the grids that you want to propagate (from):
3. Select the “Propagate Extents” button:
4. The Propagate Datum Extents window will open. It shows views you can propagate the grid layout to (if a view is cropped, it will now show up). Select the view(s) and click the OK button.
5. Voila! The checked views will have the same grid layout.
6. PIN YOUR GRID SO IT CANNOT ACCIDENTLY BE CHANGED!
2009-09-21 Ming H from Washington DC adds:
"I found the easiest way to change Grid or levels from '3D' to '2D', especially when you have a lot of grids or levels is: use crop region, any grids and levels out of the crop region will automatically become '2D'. After adjusting and apply propagating, you can always turn off the crop region. I found this way is much faster for high-rise building. ( I have 75 stories)"